Sunday, December 27, 2015

walkin' in a winter wonderland...

I've laid low on the extra curricular stuff thus far in Caroline's life.  Every parent knows the crazy pressure there is to enroll your kid in every imaginable thing from the time they begin walking.  And while I'm all for giving my children enriching opportunities, I'd like to pace myself and only do what is truly manageable for our family, both time-wise and money-wise.

Kindergarten was enough for us.  The poor girl was exhausted at the end of a school day, and afterschool trips to the library or park were about all we could handle.  School WAS the extra-curricular thing added in our life that required a major adjustment for all of us as a family.

In first grade, we found a free weekly ukelele class and a one hour of "open gym" at a gymnastics place (for $4) that we would do when we were able.

And now, in second grade, we've embarked on Caroline's first official extra-curricular: DANCE.

1st dance recital
We've signed up for a jazz dance class at the downtown ballet studio less than one minute from our house (!!), and my mom has graciously offered to help pay for the classes.

With only 3 months of dance EVER, she had her first recital a week ago!













And can I just say as a side note, it's always interesting how alopecia affects normal life stuff.  Like, for this recital, I had to figure out how to do full make-up on my daughter for the first time, and with no eyebrows and barely any eyelashes, it's a CHALLENGE, lemme tell you!  At some point, I need to learn how to draw on some natural looking eyebrows...

Caroline thought she might want to wear her wig in a bun to perform, but after she considered how hot and itchy that would be, PLUS she realized that dancers pull their hair up in order to get it out of their face, I think she realized she actually had the upper hand.  (he he!)

Who knows what the audience thought when they saw a gorgeously bald dancer on stage!  Bet it was a first for them!  I did hear a few "aww"s in the audience when they first saw her, but you couldn't help but keep your eyes glued to her BEAUTY!

I was a little nervous for her.  Not because of alopecia, but because she's in a class with two other girls who have both obviously danced for years, and I didn't know if Caroline would be able to keep up!

But check out her performance!  She did a great job, especially for having only 3 months of class!



Bravo, Caroline!

We love you and are so very proud of you, our beautiful gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment