Saturday, May 26, 2012

bald IS beautiful...

Have you all heard about this?  All because of one woman who started a facebook page.  Who knew there'd be so much support.

So when the founder of this facebook group, "Beautiful and Bald Barbie!  Let's see if we can get it made" made a post about sending out free "dome decorating kits" to children with alopecia, cancer, and other hairloss disorders, I thought, "well I know a little gal who'd LOVE to get a package in the mail."


So sure enough.  Within a week or so, it was here!  (um, can we say excited? ha!)  Caroline thought it was so great that someone wanted to send kids with alopecia a present!


LOTS of fun, girly things... headbands, a hat, temporary tattoos, etc.




... AND her faaaaavorite item (being a pastor's daughter, of course...) was a little "Holy Bible"!!  She carried it around all day with delight.


So this was the picture I sent back to Jane, the founder, to thank her for our kit and all that she's doing to fight the stereotypes against being bald, and with my permission, she posted it on her national facebook page.   Within an hour, there were over 600 "likes" and many, many sweet comments!  I've gotta admit- I felt like I had a mini-celebrity in my house as I'd check in throughout the day and watch that number grow to over 1,900 people "liking" her picture.  Wow!

(My friend said I need to print that page off with everyone's comments & "likes" and show it to Caroline when she's a teenager someday crying about her looks.)

There is NO doubt I've got a very special and beautiful gal.  I know God has his hand upon her and has a special story for her life.  In 4 years, He's already given her quite the story to tell.

Alopecia is hard.  My daughter tells me mean things kids call her or say to her, and even at her age, she just ignores them.

"Why don't you tell them what your name IS?" I ask.
"Because I would say something mean back to them, Mommy.  I don't need to say anything."
(gulp. fight back tears.)

My child is learning some of the toughest lessons in life about loving our enemies, even at 4.  (though with her feisty personality, I wonder how long that will actually last.... ha!)

But alopecia is so beautiful, too.  If it weren't for alopecia, my kid wouldn't necessarily be learning these things.  She knows she's incredibly special and loved so fiercely, and she's more confident in herself without a single hair on top of her head than I am with a whole head of it.

She's an inspiration to me.


Thank you, Beautiful and Bald Movement, for all that you are doing to tell the world and my daughter: bald IS beautiful.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Caroline, you are so beautiful, inside and outside. I am so proud of you and love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember coming for dinner a few years ago - helping put Caroline to bed and reading Bible stories to her. What a beautiful story this has continued to be - and what a challenge to our culture's shallow definition of beauty! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is definitely beautiful...in every way. I hope they come out with the doll soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is gorgeous! My 4 year old daughter also has alopecia and has been completely bald now for a year. Bald is definately beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete