Tuesday, May 29, 2012

under construction #2...

As promised, the kitchen renovation update... with never a dull moment.  You know, we can't just sit and twiddle our thumbs while we wait for a birthmommy to come our way...


So from where we left off last time.... hubby was bravely tackling the challenge of widening the entrance to the kitchen... on a load-bearing wall... (eek!)


But Superman came to the rescue.  And my house is still standing.  Much better, eh?


Next up... electrical.  (and pardon the mess-- lemme tell you, it's been real fun to live in this-- sheetrock dust with your meal, anyone??... and it's about to get much worse as this room's getting completely gutted this week...I just cooked my last meal in it for awhile yesterday...)

So my Superman hubby worked for HOURS on end completing the electrical work himself: re-running the old wires from the wall (the wall that's no longer there), installing new switches and outlets on the left wall, AND... (my favorite) adding some recessed lights in the ceiling!

Things were trucking along oh-so-fine, as hubby was just about to finish up the last of everything from up in the attic and we were going to have LIGHT!

And then the dreadful thought crossed his mind to finish squaring away something on our LIVING ROOM recessed lights.  *insert the "duh duh duh" music and foreshadowing music here*

So the scene is... Marc's up in the attic. (he's been up there forever, and we're soooo close to the finish line of finally having some light in this place.)

I'm making lunch here in my total CAVE of a kitchen.

Caroline's playing unsuspectingly in her room.

You with me?

All of a sudden I hear the most unimaginable sound come from over the living room. (you know where this is going, right?)  I run to see what it is.

The first thing I see (not pictured here) was that of my entire living room COVERED in attic insulation.

Like a bomb had just gone off.

And then I look up...


Yes.  My mind quickly takes it all in.  That IS my husband's dear leg dangling from the ceiling from which he has just fallen through.  (And, to my credit, I snapped the picture after I made sure he was okay... :)

And when this happens, it's a weird, surreal moment of silence in a 13 year marriage.

There simply are no words.


One missed step onto the can light (which was hidden in a slot in the floor underneath insulation) now gave Superman another project in a room that wasn't even under construction in the first place.... uuuggghhh.

It also gave him the nastiest bruising and swelling I've ever seen in my life.  (I will spare you the image on that.  Yes, you're welcome.)

So perhaps we should now call this our kitchen/living room renovation?  (groan......)

(to be continued...)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. At least you can eat out! Right, Caroline? Sorry for the mess. It will get better. Soon We hope. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete