Tuesday, April 30, 2013

prayer...

Father,

My mother's heart is so heavy this moment.

She was so excited to wear that wig to preschool for the first time,

yet nervous about what the reaction would be,

clinging to her Daddy's knees as he walked her inside.

I knew it would be a big deal,

yet I was hopeful and expectant that it would be a positive experience.

Instead,

the teacher met me at the door with a straight face and an account of what happened.

The kids were all reacting, telling my baby she had fake hair.

To which my daughter denied,

because to her,

it's as real as hair can get.

The class came to a halt to discuss the elephant in the room,

and my daughter had to explain to a group of children

who know nothing about what it's like to be bald.

The class was then understanding,

but then it was playground time.

And a boy from another class had a few choice words.

My daughter watched as he was pulled aside by his teacher

and chastised.

Then the teacher told her that he was just jealous of her.

Jealous?  Really?

And she has no reason not to believe that,

as I hear her currently processing that comment.

I'm sorry, honey.  He wasn't jealous.

He was just mean.

He has sin in his heart like we all do.

Another classmate pulled off the wig accidentally.

Parents smiled and reacted as I walked up to the school.

As the teacher recounted the day's events,

my head was swirling and I didn't know what to say.

It was like everything went into slow motion.

My eyes brimmed with tears.

I don't know what to do.

I feel so alone.

And I'm trying my best, God.

I don't want to watch her get hurt.

I know she's fine, and it's me who is carrying the anxiety and pain of this moment.

But I honestly just want You to take it away.

Help me forgive stupid people.

May their words and reactions not be such a bother to me.

Give me Your strength, and help me through this emotional time

in our alopecia journey.

Let me rest in Your approval and Your justification alone,

and help my sweet daughter to do the same,

I pray.

Amen.


5 comments:

  1. oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. Sweet Caroline. It's so painful to see or hear about other children being mean to your child. So sorry, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline and her family will be the ones who come out of this blessed. I know we can't see it now, and it hurts a mother's heart (and a nanny's) but she will grow in God's grace through it all, God keep you close to Him and to each other. Praying for Caroline, you and others who don't understand. Love you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Amy. My heart is breaking for you and Caroline too. I will definately be praying for y'all. Love the huge smile on her face (previous post) with her new wig and all the hairstyles. It is so hard to see our babies hurting and being teased. Have you heard of the wigs for kids program? I will post a link. Maybe they can help y'all if you need another wig. Also Pantene has a program to get free wigs.
    Always remember you are a wonderful Mommy and God will guide you every step of the way if you just ask. Prayers going up.
    http://www.wigsforkids.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=136
    http://www.pantene.com/en-US/PanteneBeautifulLengths/Pages/default.aspx
    Your friend in Christ-Ranee

    ReplyDelete
  4. That brought tears to my eyes. I think you should pray for the parents who don't teach their children to have manners and a kind heart. I have encountered SO many. These are hard lessons for our kids to learn, but I have to believe that, in the end, they will be all the more strong for having gone through them. There is nothing more heartbreaking than watching your child hurt.

    Giving you a cyber hug! :)

    Amy Melton

    ReplyDelete