Friday, December 20, 2013

unashamed...

Can I just say how proud I am of my little girl?


I know.   Every parent beams with pride as your kid takes the stage at their school Christmas performance.  I get that.

But I just look at my little girl,
as confident and talented as she can be,
standing up in front of hundreds of people,

UNASHAMED of her baldness.


She even sang a beautiful solo.  (Go, Caroline!!!!)


It's been such a loooong road coming to terms with alopecia,
and now that I've found acceptance with it,
it thankfully doesn't occupy my thoughts as often.
There is so much more to my Caroline than her bald head, afterall!

But you know, as I think about it, that bald head has helped form her into the beautiful girl she really is.
She will learn lessons of beauty and differences that other children will not understand in the same way.
I pray she will not see her baldness as a problem, but as an opportunity.

It is my hope she, like Jesus, will see the outcast, the poor, the different--
and run towards them, and not away.
That she will PURSUE, not shrink back.
That she will LOVE, not just tolerate.


I couldn't be more thankful for this school, where her classmates feel more like a supportive family.

Where one of her best friends feels the difference of only having one hand.

Where the school's art teacher is a bald woman with alopecia, too.
And wears no wig.
UNASHAMED.


As our world increasingly becomes more pressured towards a higher standard of visual beauty,
I pray that Caroline would stand as a remarkable testament
that beauty doesn't have to conform to that standard,
that He creates each of us uniquely,
and that we need not fear other's approval.


Christians, let us remember we already have all the approval we need in Christ.


Thank you, God, for both of my children.


And help us all to live in light of the Gospel--
UNASHAMED.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment